Dr. Duryea's Orthodontics
First Aid Information
If in doubt, call our office!
- If a blue rubber spacer falls out, take two pieces of floss and insert them through the spacer. Pull on both pieces of floss to stretch the spacer and slide it back and forth between the two teeth where the spacer came from. When the spacer slips under the tight spot, let go of the floss and pull it through, leaving the spacer in place.
- If a wire or bracket is rubbing and causing irritation, try to dry the area and place a piece of orthodontic wax over the bracket. If the wax does not help, you need to call and make an appointment to see Dr. Duryea.
- If the main arch wire comes out of the tube on the back molar, you can try to insert the wire with tweezers or needle nosed pliers. If you can not reinsert the wire and it is sticking out, use a piece of wax to cover the area and call the office. Cutting the wire with small wire cutters or toenail clippers is a last resort and should only be done if you can not get professional help.
- If a bracket or band becomes loose, in most cases it will remain connected to the wire with the colored rubber tie. Call the office immediately to have the band or bracket replaced.
- If your retainer cracks or breaks, call for an appointment immediately and bring all the pieces to your appointment. In most cases, a new retainer will need to be made.
- If food becomes stuck between your teeth, use dental floss or a proxy brush to try and dislodge the food. Sometimes it helps to tie a small knot in the middle of the floss and slide it back and forth to try and remove the food.
- If a permanent tooth feels loose, call and speak to Dr. Duryea. A "little" movement is normal when wearing braces but the Doctor needs to be aware of the situation.
Michael R. Duryea Orthodontics
Home | About Dr. Duryea | Our Team | Maps & Directions | First Visit
Diet Do's and Dont's | Early Treatment | Adult Orthodontics | Before & After
First Aid | Style Your Smile | Special Events | Links | Patient Contests
Guestbook | Games | Consultation | Invisalign | Sitemap
Lakewood Office: 13131 W. Alameda Pkwy. Lakewood, CO 80228
2012 © All Rights Reserved • Web Design by Televox®
Littleton Office: 6701 West Ken Caryl Avenue Littleton, CO 80128
Phone: (303) 933-0300